Leslie in India

Saturday, September 02, 2006

I've now been in India for three days.
I've been having a great time so far. We got to Jaipur yesterday after a couple days in Delhi.
In Delhi, we went to a few orientation meetings, to a craft museum, and to some tombs. Everything was beautiful, but can't really beat the food. We have been eating so well; everywhere we've been has been an experience. We started out with breakfast on the lawn of our guest house with parrots (bright green ones!) in the trees to some restaurants that ranged from a fancy place to a mall foodcourt type by the side of the highway.

Today we had a program orientation, and then a scavenger hunt around Jaipur: our first time out on our own. It was really scary at first (crossing streets feels like a death wish), but by the end of the two hour excursion, we were all feeling a lot more confident. Tomorrow's a full day off so we can explore and shop at our leisure, then out to dinner at a restaurant that, supposedly, is Jaipur's answer to medieval times. We were told we could ride camels.

The scenery here is amazing. The anachronistic elements throw me off, but are exciting. You can see men in outfits straight out of the 70's next to women in bright saris and men driving camel-drawn carriages covered in timber. Everything is a bit overwhelming, but exciting and fun.

I move in with my host family on Tuesday. They appear to be sikh (the last name is Singh) and have a house pretty far from our program center- I'll spend time seeing Jaipur from a rickshaw. For now, we're staying in a really nice guest house with a nice center area that reminds me of the mexican courtyard idea and a family that runs it and cooks great food for us.
The program center itself is beautiful. We ate a great lunch today on the roof under a great shade area. Supposedly, that's how we'll spend most of our lunch-times.

I'll update more when I have more time. I hope all is well for everyone else.

Love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home