Rants on my family (since I can't exactly do it over the phone while living in their house)
In the beginning, they were both really nice and friendly. As we've gotten more comfortable together, they've been more open. My mother is still amazing. She's nice, interesting, and makes me a lot of food (without being as pushy as most Indian mothers). My father, on the other hand, has begun to show a less positive side. He's constantly harassing my mother about various things. Usually, he just tells her she's fat - he said she should be my size, she's too fat to run, she shouldn't eat so much, etc. She's now started making herself chipates without ghee (butter+ oil, pretty much), which just isn't done in India. He also complains to me for hours if she asks him to do something and makes a huge deal out of any favor he does for her. One morning, she asked him to make tea (he makes the second cup of tea every morning since she makes breakfast) while he was reading a poem in the newspaper, and I heard about it all morning. He also has some very strange ideas about America and American culture and doesn't believe me that they aren't right. I never knew that the only dessert people in America eat is pudding. I do enjoy the odd pudding cone, but it's definitely not a staple of my diet. He still doesn't believe me. I've also gotten many lectures on social security, retirement, and Christianity (he has the main theological ideas completely wrong, but wouldn't listen let me try to correct him- it's not like I would know any of that...).
He tells long-winded, uninteresting stories every night that almost put me to sleep. One night last week, I heard a two hour lecture on how meditation has given him super powers. One day, his 30-year-old daughter got scratched by a dog, and he decided he wanted to visit her without knowing this. Obviously these events were related and show his super powers.
My favorite lectures of his are on how I should live my life. The low-point of our relationship (the moment where I lost all respect for him) was one morning, while I was waiting for my van to school, he ruthlessly attacked S-day fun, telling me that it was immoral because my mom isn't involved and all of the other activities I should be doing on Saturday so that my mom and grandma can be involved. If there's one thing you don't attack with me, it's S-day fun.
Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about getting out on my own for ISP (one week from Monday!) Most people are really ready to get away from their families- it's been an intense experience living with them, but it's gotten to be too much.
Until ISP, I'll be busy with the camel fair (starting tomorrow morning!), then exams and practicum (folk dance) presentations.
Oh, and the answer to a big debate: Baby camels (oonts) do exist. I'll report back after this weekend.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home